Hi friends, sambhar is the main recipe in our South Indian home, festivals and celebrations too. My mom used to make the passi paruppu (Moong Dal) sambhar for our tiffin, it really goes well with idli and dosas. She used to make the sambhar little watery, coz it will be so good when we have with idlies.
The idlies will absorb the sambhar, it will be very juicy and spicy. No need tamarind for the sambhar, it will be very delicious and I posted Toor Dal sambhar already. Here, I don't add any veggies here, so very easy and simple recipes, you can make the quick sambhar in a jiffy.
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Fenugreek seeds – ½ Tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp
Mustard and urad dal – 2 Tsp
Hing – ½ Tsp
Dry red chillies – 1
Shallots – 10-15
Green Chillies – 2 slited
Curry leaves - 15
Tomatoes – 3 chopped
Turmeric Powder – ½ Tsp
Sambhar Powder – 2-3 Tsp
Moong dal – 1 Cup
Salt – To taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, seasoning with fenugreek seed, cumin seeds, mustard and urad dal, hing, red chillies till it splutter.
- Add onion sauté it for 2 minutes, then add green chillies and curry leaves.
- Then add tomatoes and add turmeric powder, sambhar powder sauté it well.
- Then add washed moong dal and add enough water for the sambhar and close the cooker with lid and cook it till 3 whistles.
- After the pressure reduced, add enough salt and allow boiling for 5 minutes then switching off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot idlies/dosas…
- You can any veggies in the sambhar in the stage of tomato add.
- Don’t add salt with the dal, because the dal did not cook well if the salt is added.
- You can use Toor dal instead of Moong dal.
- Add 2 Tsp of ghee when you switch off the flame, it gives rich flavour to the sambhar.
|Delicious and Juicy Passi Paruppu/Moong Dal Sambhar!!!|