Hi friends, actually this is my old post which I was posted the recipe in the beginning of my blog... So most of you did not noticed the recipe... and now festival time so am repost the traditional way of making wheat halwa from wheat berries. It’s really useful for your diwali preparations.
The wheat halwa is prepared from “Samba Muzhu Kothumai”, (Whole wheat berries). The process of making in traditional way is soaking the wheat berries for overnight and extracts the milk from it and allow for overnight fermentation then they will follow the cooking process, this is the way of getting traditional taste halwa. But the fermentation is optional; we can continue the process without fermentation.
2 Hours (Apart from soaking)
Samba whole wheat - 1 cup
Sugar - 2 cups
Water - 2 cups
Cardamom pods – 6 or powder – 2 Tsp
Ghee - 3 Tbsp
Orange food color – 1/8 Tsp
Salt – 1/8 Tsp
- Wash and soak the samba whole wheat for overnight.
|soak in water|
|extract milk from wheat|
- Drain the water and wash again and grind in a mixie by adding 1 cup of water. Strain through a sieve to get thick milk.
- Again grind with 1 cup of water and
strain. Now you have only husk, throw it away.
|ground wheat with water|
- The filtered wheat milk is ready. Keep this in refrigerator for 2 hours to settle down thick milk.
- Discard the upper layer of water and keep the thick milk.
- Now prepare the sugar syrup. Take heavy bottom pans add 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of water and stir in low flame.
- Grease the plate with ghee.
- When it starts bubbling stir continuously and check it for single strand consistency.
- When sugar syrup is ready add wheat milk with pinch of salt and stir continuously.
- Then add color powder with some water and stir well.
- Add cardamom powder to this and stir well till it forms a mass.
- Adding ghee and don't leave your stirring otherwise lumps will appear.
- Should be stir in low flame around 30-40 min, then only we will get good consistency.
- Check this consistency by rolling the mixture in your hand like ball; if it will not sticky it’s ready.
- Pour the whole mixture on to a plate. Let it cool, cut into desired shapes.
- Serve it…
- Single thread sugar syrup consistency is very important for good halwa texture.
- Food color is optional.
- If you wish add ghee roasted cashew nuts to the halwa in last stage and stir it well.
|YUMMY WHOLE WHEAT HALWA IS READY!!!|
Sending to these events,
Click Here 1 &2