Hi friends, I love baking so that I have joined in our HBC - Home Baker's Challenge which is the brainchild of our one and only +Priya Suresh akka from Priya's Versatile Recipes. This is our 8th challenge which was we started with Pizza, marble cakes, cookies, breads, muffins, Halloween bakes, biscottis and now we are here to bake Christmas bakes... Such a lovely challenge and learning many more here...
The December month of host is +Priya R from Cook Like Priya who is having very innovative and attractive blog with delicious recipes. She had given the Christmas traditional bakes. And we have choices of 2 varieties in each category such as cookies, cakes and breads. I have chosen bread, because the braided bread made me so tempting to try out and no further delay, I prepared it and came out very well. I tried the vegan variety with use of chickpea flour. Really the bread was come out perfect, and I never expect the good outcome.
I started to knead the dough late morning, so when I baked the bread lighting was almost gone. I can make photographs on next day morning, but at that time, kids were in my home, so no possible to keep it on storage.:P So I managed to click some pictures in outdoor, hope its not too bad.. Forgive me for the low picture quality. Coming to the recipe, I already prepared BUN which is similar to white sandwich bread recipe, but I don’t have loaf pan, so still I couldn't make bread at home. Add of chickpea flour is really interesting and first time I heard with breads. Most enjoyable part of the bread was making braid… ;) very funny and nice part in the bread, my mom, dad and brother laughed to see the braids in the form of bread. My baking tray is round shaped one, so I couldn't keep it in straight line so its slightly curved braid at the end J
Bakes - Bread
Active dry yeast – 1 ¼ Tsp
Sugar – 1 Tsp + 2 Tbsp Sugar
Water – ½ Cup
Chickpea flour – ¼ Cup + ¼ Cup Water
Olive oil – 2 Tbsp
Salt – ¾ Tsp
All purpose flour/Maida – 1-2 Cup
Sesame seeds – 1 Tsp
- In a wide bowl stir together yeast, 1 Tsp sugar and ½ Cup lukewarm water. Set aside for 5-10 minutes to allow yeast and sugar to dissolve.
- Meanwhile, mix chick pea flour and ¼ cup of water in a blender and mix it well until thick and foamy and keep it aside.
- Now the yeast mixture it will be frothy, so your yeast is active J, now add oil into yeast mixture and whisk, followed by chickpea mix without stop whisking.
- Add 2 Tbsp of sugar and salt and whisk it well. Then add flour until the dough begins to come together, but it still soft.
- Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead until smooth (about 10-15 minutes), if needs add flour little by little, if flour excess add little water. Now the dough will be very soft and non-sticky.
- Keep the dough in a greased bowl, and cover with damp cloth and keep it warm place to double rise for 1 – 1½ hour. (Mine took 1¼ hour).
- Punch dough down, re-cover and let rise an additional 30 minutes.
- Place dough on a floured surface and cut into three equal pieces.
- Roll each piece using rolling pin into ¼ inch thickness no worries about the shape.
- Now start tight rolling the thread (Apporx. 1” thick) from one end to other by your hands as shown in the picture. Do this for remaining doughs.
- In each end of the strand roll it thinly by your palms. Gather the ropes and squeeze them together at the very top as shown in the picture.
- Make the braid as shown in the picture, and join the 3 strands together at the end.
- Brush with soy milk or milk and set aside to rise for about 30 minutes, until dough slowly pushes back when a groove is created with your finger.
- Preheat the oven 190° C/375 F.
- Greased the baking tray and lift the loaf on top and brush with milk then sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Bake it for 25-30 minutes or till the top turns golden brown and firm crust has formed.
- Take out from the oven and brush with butter or oil.
- Cool it completely and slice it and serve.
- Temperature may vary oven to oven.
- So keep an eye in the bread after 25 minutes of baking.
- Always check the yeast is active or not.
- Flour will be used to form soft dough, so have some extra flour while doing.
- Make braid carefully and let them allow rising, don’t bake it immediately.
- You can brush with butter or cream too.
- Original recipe sprinkle with poppy seeds.
|ENJOY THE SOFT AND DELICIOUS EGG FREE CHALLAH!!!|
|Click Here 1 & 2!!!|