Dal tadka is very popular recipes in India. I love dal recipes much, whenever I visit restaurant mostly my orders were garlic naan and dal tadka... I already posted dal tadka with toor dal, and this time I have tried with moong dal. It comes out very tasty and am sure no one say no to the yummy dal gravy…
The aroma of ghee and spices will give you the unique taste. Usually the main deal is easy to cook because it takes little time to cook compared to other dal varieties. Within 20 minutes you can complete the recipe, moreover its protein packed dal and suits for lunch box of kids or even adults. My usual combination of dal rice with potato roast, its irresistible combo… I prepared vazhaikkai kola urundai as side dish for the dal tadka, will post the kola in the next session… Now check out the recipe…
Source – My Own
Moong dal, split – ¼ Cup
Water – 2 Cups
Turmeric powder - 1/8 Tsp
Castor oil - 2 Tsp
Ghee – 1 Tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 Tsp
Urad dal – 1 Tsp
Dry red chillies – 1, broken
Hing – ¼ Tsp
Onion – 1, finely chopped
Curry leaves – Few
*Garlic-Green spice paste – 2 Tsp
Salt – To taste
*Garlic-green spice paste
Garlic – 5 Pods
Shallots – 4
Cashew nuts – 5
Green chilli – 1
Cinnamon -1” piece – 1
Fennel seeds – ½ Tsp
Cumin seeds – ½ Tsp
- Boil 2 cups of water in pan, add washed and drained Moong dal, turmeric powder and castor oil.
- Allow cook it for 10-15 minutes on medium-high flame, and put one laddle in the pan it will prevent overflow.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds, urad dal and mustard seeds wait for sputter.
- Add hing and dry red chillies and then add finely chopped onion and curry leaves sauté till translucent.
- Then add the garlic-green chilli spice paste sauté it till the raw smell goes off.
- Now the dal will be cooked well and transfer the onion mixture to the dal and add enough salt and allow boil for 1-2 minutes to extract the flavors from the mixture.
- Switch off the flame and serve it hot with hot rice…
- I added the garlic-green chilli spice paste, which especially ground for vazzhaikai kola. So I added the left over paste to the dal, but the spice taste given the flavorful and unique taste to the dal.
- The paste is optional, if you are not add the paste, add finely chopped garlic and green chillies while sauté the onion mixture.
- If you running out of time, pressure cook the dal upto 2-3 whistles.