Curry leaves are not only flavorful, which has lots of health benefits. We always keep stocking dry curry leaves in our pantry. I just love the aroma of the leaves and I can enjoy it in any dishes. I usually make curry leaves chutney for idli or dosa.
Recently, I have tried Chettinad curry leaves kuzhambu which suits for hot rice, idli and dosa. Especially I love the gravy much with garlic flavor. The method similar to make puli kuzhambu, yet adding freshly ground spices gives you a unique taste of the curry. I tried this recipe for Shhh secretly cooking challenge which is a brainchild of Priya aks. This month my pair is +Janani k , she gave me curry leaves and coriander leaves. So, I chosen curry leaves to try out the authentic gravy. Now check out the recipe,
To roast and grind
Dry red chillies – 5-6
Coriander seeds – 1 Tbsp
Black peppercorns –2 Tsp
Cumin seeds – 2 Tsp
Toor dal – 2 Tsp
Raw rice – 2 Tsp
Curry leaves – 1 Cup, tightly packed
Coconut, scraped – 1 Tbsp
Tamarind – Lemon size ball
Rice, washed water – To require
Sesame oil – 2 Tbsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1 Tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 Tsp
Urad dal – 1 Tsp
Cumin seeds – ½ Tsp
Shallots – ¼ Cup
Garlic – ¼ Cup
Tomatoes – 2, chopped
Turmeric powder – ¼ Tsp
Salt – To taste
- Soak the tamarind in 1 cup of water and keep it aside.
- Dry roast red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin, pepper, toor dal and rice till golden brown and keep it aside.
- Add 1 Tsp oil in a pan, add curry leaves, saute it till the aroma comes and add scraped coconut saute it for a few minutes and switch off the flame. Cool it completely and grind into a smooth paste with little water.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan; add fenugreek, mustard, Urad dal and cumin seeds wait for sputter.
- Add shallots and garlic, saute till transparent and the raw smell goes off.
- Now add tomatoes, turmeric, salt and saute till the oil separates. Meanwhile extract the tamarind water and keep it ready.
- Pour tamarind water to the mixture and allow boiling and then add curry leaves paste and mix it well.
- Keep the flame on low-medium and allow cooking till the oil oozes out of the gravy.
- Switch off the flame.
- Serve it hot with hot rice.
- Garlic is optional;
- Adjust spice level according to your taste.
- When it completely cools, store it in an airtight container and keep it refrigeration up to one week.