Hi friends, here I come up with Home Baker's Challenge recipe. +Nupur has given good choices of Arabic desserts which all are very delicious desserts. I have chosen Basbousa or Basboosa or Semolina cake. Its traditional sweet in East Mediterranean. Basbousa can be prepared many methods, coconut is popular addition with it. The cake will be super soft which is soaked in sugar syrup with the flavor of rose and orange.
I have some modification in the recipe, I added cardamom powder instead of orange blossom water and added grated coconut instead of desiccated coconut. I tried the sweet with maize semolina, which really turned out great. I can feel outer crispy and inner softness with sugar syrup. I surely recommend with maize rava, you wont get disappointment.
4-6 Hours including soaking
Source – the cookie shop
Granulated Sugar - 1 Cup
Water - 1/4 Cup
Cardamom powder - 1 Tsp
Rose water - 1 Tsp
Lemon Juice - 2 Drops
Maize Semolina - 3/4 Cup
Powdered Sugar - 5 Tbsp
Coconut, scraped - 2 Tbsp
Baking powder - 3/4 Tsp
Sugar Syrup - 1 Tbsp + 1/4 Tsp
Milk - 60 ml
Butter, melted - 1 Tbsp
Vanilla Essence - 1 Tsp
Preparation of Sugar Syrup
- In a bowl add sugar and water melt it completely into thin syrup and switch off the flame.
- Add rose water, cardamom powder and lemon juice mix it well and cool it aside.
Preparation of Semolina Cake
- In a mixing bowl, add semolina, powdered sugar, grated coconut, baking powder and mix it well by clean hands.
- Make well at the center and keep it aside.
- In other mixing bowl add melted butter, sugar syrup, milk and vanilla essence beat it well.
- Now pour the wet ingredients into the well of dry ingredients.
- Mix it well with your clean hands and pour it in greased baking pan and keep it aside for 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven at 200 degree Centigrade.
- Now draw squares with sharp edged knife and keep the almonds at the center of each square.
- Bake it for 18-20 minutes and take out from oven.
- Cut again with same line of squares and again keep it oven for 5 minutes or till golden top.
- Meanwhile melt the sugar syrup, at this time it may solidify.
- Pour the warm syrup into the rava cake and let it soak for 1 hour.
- Serve it warm...
- Original recipe calls for orange blossom water instead of cardamom powder.
- I used maize semolina instead normal fine rava, but it turns really great.
- Add dry coconut instead of fresh grated coconut.
- Store it air-tight container for 2 days in room temperature or do refrigeration and while serve warm it in Microwave oven for 30-40 seconds.