Boondi/Boondhi ladoo is my all time favourite and waited to try in my hands for a long time. Usually, we used to call lattu/laddu as a pet name for our loved ones or kids because all are love the delicious ladoo, right? Making ladoo is my long time wish, last year I couldn't make it and now I tried the ladoo with my sithi’s help. We made it perfectly and I calm down and relaxed after shaping the ladoos and yeah it stays well.
I added green camphor, cloves and cardamom for the flavor. The camphor and clove flavor will enhance the aroma and taste of the Ladoo. +Veena, she is my pair of this month of Shhh cooking secretly challenge. she has given two secret ingredients bengal gram flour and sugar. So no other delay, I have prepared the yummy boondi ladoo. Thank you sis for the wonderful ingredients and thanks +Priya aks for the opportunity...
Source – My Aunt
Bengal gram flour/Kadalai maavu – 1 Cup
Yellow food color – A pinch (Optional)
Salt – 1/8 Tsp
Water - To require for batter
To Sugar syrup
Sugar – ¾ Cup
Water – 6 Tbsp
Ghee – 1 Tbsp
Cashew nuts – 10-12
Green camphor (Pachai karpooram) – Pinch
Cloves – 3
Green cardamom powder – 1 Tsp
Sugar syrup preparation
- Add sugar and water in a pan and boil till you get one string consistency it will take 8-10 minutes and then switch off the flame.
- To check the one string consistency of sugar syrup. Keep some water in a small bowl, add little drops of sugar syrup into the bowl, it will not dissolve in the water or when you touch it with two fingers together and then one string has to be formed when you move them apart.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry on medium-high flame.
- Add besan flour, salt and food color in a mixing bowl, add water little by litte and mix it well with clean hands without any lumps.
- The batter should be flowing (dosa batter) consistency, it will not too thick nor thin.
- Take dry boondi karandi or a perforated laddle on top of the hot oil and pour the batter on the laddle and spread it with laddle. It will drop as small balls into the hot oil, its called boondi.
- Fry them till the oil bubbles ceases, and take out from the oil and keep it in tissue paper. Repeat the process till the batter finish.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add cashew nuts and roast it well and pour into the sugar syrup.
- Now add green camphor, cardamom powder and cloves to the sugar syrup.
- Now pulse the boondi in a mixer jar for 2-3 seconds and add it with sugar syrup.
- Mix it well with a wooden laddle now it will be warm to handle, so its ready to shape as ladoo.
- Take some amount and just squeeze and tightly press in your hands and shape it, while you shape the Ladoo the sugar syrup and ghee will ooze out but do not worry, it will become dry when cools down.
- After dry serve it or store it in an airtight container.
- The batter consistency is important, so always add water little by little.
- Check the temperature of oil while fry each batch.
- You can add raisins and sugar candy (Kalkandu) to get extra taste.
- After shaping the ladoo will be moisture but, it become dry in another few minutes.