Mochai or lima beans have dietary fiber and protein rich. We get fresh produce nowadays. My mom used to buy once in a week and we make it kuzhambu or avarai mochai curry which is suited for dal rice. I have prepared pithiki paruppu, which was I learnt from aunty. When she visited us, she prepared it for me and it was so so delicious. So I tried her recipe and it came out very well.
It’s similar to sambhar, instead of toor dal we are adding mochai. So the flavor and taste must be completely different from our usual sambhar and you will surely love it. I served chapati with the pithiki paruppu. Let’s check out the recipe,
15 Minutes (Apart from soaking)
Source – My Aunt
Lima/Mochai – 2 Cup – Soaked overnight
Turmeric powder – ¼ Tsp
Castor oil – ½ Tsp
Water – 3-4 Cups
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1 Tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 Tsp
Urad dal – 1 Tsp
Hing – ½ Tsp
Dry red chillies – 1, broken
Shallots – ¼ Cup, chopped
Curry leaves - Few
Tomatoes – 2, chopped
Sambhar powder – 2 Tsp
Salt – To taste
Coriander leaves – One handful
- Peel off the mochai as I shown in the figure. It’s easy to peel after soaking, so don’t forget to soak the beans overnight or 6-8 hours before doing it.
- Now add the beans, water, turmeric and castor oil allow cooking till the beans cook softly like toor dal.
- Heat oil in a pan; add fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds wait for golden brown.
- Then add urad dal and mustard seeds wait for sputter.
- Add hing, curry leaves, dry red chilies and then add shallots and saute it till transparent.
- Now add tomatoes and sambhar powder allow cooking till the oil oozes out from the masala.
- Stir the beans with the water and pour into the masala.
- Mix it well and add enough salt to the gravy.
- Allow to boil for 2 minutes and then keep it on low flame for 5 minutes and then switch off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot with hot rice or chapathi…
- You can pressure cook beans up to 2 whistles instead of open pot cooking.
- If you want a thick gravy, reduce the water content as per your choice.
Interested in other recipes of Mochai/Lima beans???