The parippu curry is typical kerala recipe. It is coconut based lentil gravy with suits well with hot rice and papads or potato roast. I tried the parippu curry for first time; I loved it a lot with the flavour of green chillies, cumin and coconut. Definitely, I am going to make the yummy dal often.
15 Minutes (Apart from Soaking time)
Split Moong dal – ¼ Cup
Water – 2 Cup
Turmeric powder – ¼ Tsp
Coconut, scraped – 3 Tbsp
Green chillies – 2
Cumin seeds – ½ Tsp
Shallots – 5-6
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 Tsp
Dry red chillies – 1, broken
Hing – Pinch
Shallots, chopped – 1 Tbsp
Curry leaves – Few
- Dry roast the moong dal till golden brown, and then add water to the dal with turmeric powder and cook till the dal cooks well.
- Grind the coconut, green chillies, cumin seeds and shallots into smooth paste with little water.
- Add the paste to the cooked dal and allow cooking for 5-7 minutes to remove the raw smell of green chillies and shallots.
- Heat oil in pan, add mustard seeds wait for sputter, and then add red chillies, hing and shallots sauté it tills translucent.
- Transfer into the dal mixture and mix it well and switch off the flame.
- Serve it hot with rice and papad…
- You can pressure cook the dal to ease the process.