Hi friends, am sure you all know about the South vs North Challenge (SNC) which is great thought of wise Divya Pramil from You Too Can Cook - Indian Recipes. Am not take much time by telling all the details again and again coz must be all you aware of this challenge... Still, if you are not aware of it, plz check the link for the details...
Very happy to post the special recipe for our SNC event. Now we are in 12th month of SNC, yeah! The great event going to celebrate first anniversary… Congrats Divy and SNC Members… J
I am hosting this month on behalf of South Team, am really very proud and pleasure to host the challenge. Actually I was thinking from the beginning of SNC, that what am going to do... But luckily the festive month here, and very apt recipe for the challenge as well as its 12th month of celebration too... N also happy to celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi with our SNC family.As all you know that September 9th is Ganesh Chathurthi… So I prepared Ellu (Til seeds/Sesame) Kozhukattai (Modak/Dumplings), its like momos.
Am great fan of the kozhukattai, I am sure our North team friends too will love this, is it friends?? With the black sesame seeds with jaggery it goes awesome and moreover its very healthy. The taste of the ellu kozhukattai is unbeatable, the soft outer layer and inner sweet filling. Usually, in old days even now some of them, preparing this recipe from soaked rice but its bit difficult process so I have given simple form of the recipe yet authentic and tasteful.
Benefits of Jaggery
- Jaggery is a natural sweetener and its taste good compared to sugar, its effectively cleans the respiratory tracts, lungs, food pipe, stomach and intestines. It pulls out dust and unwanted particles from the body, while also giving relief from constipation, perhaps due to presence of fiber in it.
- Digestive agent - It activates the digestive enzymes and itself changes to acetic acid in the stomach, thereby speeding up digestion and making the process go very smooth, reducing strain on the intestines and digestive tract.
- Contains many minerals, mainly iron.
Benefits of Sesame Seeds
- Rich Copper content in sesame provides relief for Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- It has a no.of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant enzyme.
- Magnesium content in Sesame supports vascular and respiratory health.
- Contains good amount of Calcium and Zinc.
- Lower the cholesterol, high blood pressure.
For Sesame Filling
Black Sesame seeds – ¼ Cup
Jaggery – 1/3 Cup
Grated Coconut – ¼ Cup
Cardamom Powder – ¼ Tsp
For Outer Layer
Rice flour – 1 Cup
Salt – ¼ Cup
Oil – 1 Tsp
Preparation of Sesame Filling
- Dry roast the sesame seeds in a dry pan till the aroma comes and cool it completely and grind it to a coarse powder.
- Powder the jaggery (1/3 Cup) if its in big size or break into small pieces add 1 Tbsp of water to it and melt it in a pan on low flame till it completely melts, then switch off the flame.
- Immediately, filter the syrup to another bowl using coffee filter or siever, then add grated coconut to it and again keep it in low flame, now it will starts boiling stir it continuously.
- When it comes like frothy add powdered sesame seeds and cardamom powder mix it well then switch off the flame when it starts rolling.
- Keep it in one bowl and filling is ready now.
Preparation of Outer layer
- Take rice flour into the big bowl
- Boil 1 1/3 Cups of water with ¼ Tsp salt and 1 Tsp of oil, when it’s boiling well switch off the flame.
- Add boiled water little by little to the rice flour and knead it using wooden ladle then just cover it with damp cloth for 5 minutes.
- Now it will be warm dough, and knead it well by oil greased hand.
- Pinch some dough and make it lemon size balls.
- Grease your hands with oil, then tap the dough and make circle shape.
- Keep the filling at the centre, and then cover it as I shown in the picture, I have shown 2 methods.
- After shape it, place in the idli plate or steam plate and steam it for 7-10 minutes. It will look transparent after cooked.
- Take it carefully from the plates and serve it hot…
- Use homemade rice flour or good brand rice flour.
- If you are getting black sesame seeds replace with white sesame seeds.
Hope friends you love the traditional and healthy Ellu (Til) Kozhukattai!!!
All the best for you challenge and am sure u gonna rock it!!!
THANK U SO MUCH DIVY FOR GIVING THE OPPORTUNITY TO HOST THE GREAT SNC!!!