Hi friends, chana pulao is very easy to make and nutritious. Apt for lunch box recipe and can make this pulao with chana instead of making kuzhambu all the time. I prepared the pulao with kabuli channa and I love the kabuli channa (white chickpeas) more than black sundal. White chickpeas are very nutritious and best for immunity. So you should give it to your kids and poor eaters too…
I have prepared the pulao in open pot method. The taste and aroma of the pulao will be so good and you can add other veggies too. I have tried kabuli chana vadai, it is nice twist from usual bengal gram vadai. We served the pulao with Cauliflower stir fry and Minty Lemonade as it ease digestion.
Source – My Own
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Cinnamon – 1” – 1 piece
Cloves – 2
Cardamom – 1
Bay leaves – 1
Ginger garlic paste – 2 Tbsp
Onion – 2, chopped
Mint leaves – one handful
Coriander leaves – one handful
Carrot – 1, diced
Red chilli powder – 1-1½ Tsp
Coriander powder – 1 Tsp
Garam masala powder – ½ Tsp
Salt – To taste
White chickpeas – ½ Cup
Tomatoes – 2, chopped
Water – 2 Cup
Basmati rice – 1 Cup
- Soak the rice for 15 minutes and then drain and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in pan; add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom wait for 15 seconds.
- Add ginger garlic paste sauté it and then add chopped onion sauté it till translucent.
- Add mint leaves and coriander leaves sauté it then add kabuli chana and carrot stir it well and allow cooking for 10 minutes.
- Now add red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt to the peas, saute it till raw smell goes off.
- Add tomatoes and sauté it till the tomatoes turns mushy.
- Pour water and cover with lid; keep it on high flame till high boiling.
- Add rice and stir it once, check salt then keep cover with lid on high flame.
- When it starts boil, keep the flame on low flame.
- Allow cooking, till the water content absorb in the rice mixture.
- Switch off the flame and let it stand for other 10 minutes.
- Stir it with fork, to avoid break the rice and serve it hot…
- You can add your favourite veggies too.
- You can replace black chickpeas instead of white chickpeas.
- For quick version, you can keep it in pressure cooker up to 3 whistles.
- Replace coconut milk instead of water.