Hi friends, every morning the breakfast menu is such a difficult one to guess it… Main thinking will be what chutney to make for idlies or dosas… Mostly, coconut chutney will be prepared in last minute after many thinks of chutneys… But, luckily we love green chutney more than the coconut chutney, my mom used to prepare green chutney often and store it in refrigerator for 2-3 days. But I and my brother, are not given chance to store it for more than 1 ½ of days… We used to empty the chutney for breakfast, lunch and dinner too…Today’s post for VT – Vegan Thursday which is the brainchild of Priya Suresh akka from Priya’s Versatile Recipes. And compulsory, you can expect vegan foods from our group of friends on every 1st and last Thursday…
Curry leaves is a precious herb and it’s very nutritious and benefits in many ways. Like start from hair care to eyesight, diabetics, etc… You can see the curry leaves in our each and every Indian recipe, right? While roast the curry leaves, the aroma fills your entire kitchen, and it will be too good…
Oil – 2 Tsp
Urad dal – 2 Tsp
Dry red chillies – 6-8
Curry leaves – One cup tightly packed
Tomatoes – 2 Chopped
Salt – To taste
Tamarind – Small Gooseberry Size
Grated Coconut – 1 Tbsp
Oil – 1 Tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 Tsp
- Wash the curry leaves in running tap water or in floating water, drain and keep it aside.
- Soak tamarind in warm water.
- Heat 2 Tsp of oil in a pan; add urad dal when it starts golden brown, add red chillies and sauté it for 30 seconds.
- Now add curry leaves and sauté it for 2-3 minutes, do not cover the pan, else the curry leaves will turn black.
- Then add tomatoes with salt, sauté it till the tomatoes turns soft.
- Add tamarind to the curry leaves stir it well, then add grated coconut mix it well for 2 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Cool it completely and grind into smooth paste with little water and transfer into a bowl.
- Temper with mustard and urad dal and pour it into the chutney.
- Serve it with idli/dosa/hot rice.
- You can skip tomato and add ¼ cup extra grated coconut.
- If you wish add 2 Tsp of chana dal while adding urad dal for roasting.
Check out my other chutneys/Dips…
- Coconut chutney
- Capsicum Chutney/ Green Bell Pepper Dip
- Chinna Vengayam Chuteny/Shallot dips
- Coconut Coriander Chutney
- Dry Curry leaves chutney
- Mint Chutney
- Peanut chutney/ Nilakadalai chutney
- Pepper Chutney
- Raw Garlic Chutney
- Thakkali Thokku/Tomato Chutney
- Tomato Chutney