Hi friends, am very happy to share the post of special virtual birthday party for lovable friend. She is none other than, Pretty +Priya Ranjit, I call her as doll. We friends, planned to give surprise virtual treat on her special day with her favorite color pink… After so many search and innovations, here I have come up with special dessert and first time I have tried the Malaysia/Singapore dessert and not bad it came out quite well and the taste was too awesome.
You are an amazing person and the best friend of mine. May God give you all his love and warmth in every step of yours.
WISH YOU MANY MORE HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR J
Over the past one year, we knew each other and at times we had chatter through social networks and after few days, we are become close friends and talked over phone many times. She is very jovial, perfect and lovable friend of mine and I really proud to be as her friend. Sure, I no need to tell about her blog Cook Like Priya. You might notice that, it has vast collections of delectable recipes with pretty presentations.
Coming to the recipe, I have selected the Kuih (Layer) Lapis (Cake), which is Malay word and will be very popular dessert in Malaysia/Singapore. I have gone through many sites, and the recipe calls for rice flour and tapioca flour. But my bad luck, I do not have tapioca flour and not enough time to get the flour. So, I got one sparkled idea of using sago pearls/Javvarisi, it will be prepared from tapioca flour only. Therefore I just ground the sago pearls into smooth powder, sieve and used it. The original recipe will be the flavor of pandan from pandan leaves. Here, I didn't get the pandan leaves, so I gone through my own flavor idea, I was kept my finger crossed during the whole process, and quite success while see the outcome. Add of extra color to the mixture will be give even more clear layer but this was my first time so I missed to get the deep layer, but still the layer is visible and here is the recipe of Kuih Lapis…
10 (Small cake size)
Source – Referred many sites and I did some alterations.
To Prepare Coconut Milk
Coconut, scraped – 1 Cup
Warm water – To require (I used 1 ½ Cup)
Sugar – ¼ Cup + 2 Tbsp
To Replace Tapioca flour
Sago pearls/Javvarisi – ½ Cup or Tapioca Flour – ¼ Cup
Rice flour – ¼ Cup + 3 Tbsp
Salt – 1/8 Tsp
Cardamom powder or essence – ½ Tsp
Rose essence – ¾ Tsp + ¼ Tsp
- First grind the sago pearls in a dry blender and blend into a smooth powder, sieve and keep it aside.
- Extract coconut milk with warm water and add sugar to the coconut milk and stir it to dissolve, and then keep it side.
- Now take a wide bowl, add rice flour, ground sago powder and salt, mix it well.
- Pour coconut milk to the flour and stir it well without any lumps. Filter the solution through coffee filter to avoid lumps.
- Divide the milk mixture into two equal parts.
- Add cardamom powder or essence to one part, I filter again after add of cardamom powder, if you use the essence no need to filter again.
- Add rose essence; to the other milk mixture stir it well.
- Now the two flavored milk mixture is ready to make your kuih lapis.
- Use any measuring cup according to the thickness of cake and pan size. (I used ¼ Cup for even measurement)
- Grease the cake pan with oil.
- Now set the steamer/idli pan, place the cake pan over the steamer, the bottom pan does not touch the water.
- Cover the steamer with lid; you can use cloth to avoid the vapor drops into the pan as I shown in the picture (22nd Pic).
- Steam for 5 minutes with the cake pan on low flame.
- Do not forget to stir it every time while pour the mixture.
- Add ¼ cup of rose mixture into the cake pan and allow steam it for 5 minutes.
- Touch the layer, it will not be stick, and it should be firm and now ready to pour the next layer.
- Pour the next layer and steam it for 4-5 minutes.
- Follow the same procedure till the last layer.
- For the last layer, add ¼ Tsp of rose essence to get dark layer on the top and pour and steam it for 10-15 minutes on low flame.
- Switch off the flame and cool it completely.
- Slice it with greased knife and serve it.
- You can use tapioca flour instead of sago pearls.
- Steam the cake on low flame for the entire process.
- Check the water content in between, if needs add some water.
- Do not add the next layer without cooking the previous layer, else it will be a collapse and the layer will not come clearly.
- Cool the cake completely before slice it.
- Keep it in refrigeration up to one week.
|VERY DELICIOUS LAYERED STEAM CAKE... |
KUIH LAPIS IS READY TO ENJOY!!!
Hope you loved the special pink Kuih Lapis and again wish u very happy birthday doll dear!!!
Have fun and enjoy...
|Click Here 1 & 2!!|