Hi friends, here is the simple and healthy lentil/paruppu kootu with add of appalam in it. Its called as Appala Kootu or Papad dal gravy. It is Tamil Cuisine, which is loaded of proteins and carbohydrate. Potatoes give unique taste to the kootu and have to use plain urad dal papads, not masala papads…
I am posting the recipe for Tamizhar Samayal Tuesday – TST which is brainchild of +Nalini suresh akka from Nalini’s Kitchen. We bloggers, who joined in TST, will post our Tamil Cuisine on 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month.
Moong dal – ¼ Cup
Potatoes – 2, wash, peeled and diced
Garlic – 6, pods
Tomatoes – 2, diced
Castor oil – 1 Tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ Tsp
Oil – To deep fry + 3 Tsp
Urad dal Papads – 10-15 (Depending upon the size of the papads)
Cumin seeds – 2 Tsp
Urad dal – 1 Tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 Tsp
Dry Red chillies –1, broken
Hing – ½ Tsp
Shallots – ¼ Cup, chopped
Curry leaves – Few
Sambhar powder – 1 Tsp
Salt – To taste
- First wash the dal and put in pressure cooker, then add garlic, tomatoes and potatoes, turmeric powder and castor oil to the dal.
- Add 2 Cups of water and pressure cook till 3 whistles and switch off the flame and let wait for pressure reduce.
- Heat oil for deep fry and fry the papads, and keep it in tissue paper.
- Now add oil in other pan, add cumin seeds, urad dal, mustard seeds and red chillies, wait for sputter.
- Add hing and then add shallots and curry leaves sauté it tills translucent.
- Add sambhar powder and salt sauté it till the raw smell goes.
- Now open the pressure cooker and mash the dal and potatoes using masher and pour the mixture into the onion mixture.
- Allow boiling for 2 minutes and then add broken the papads into the dal and mix it once and switch off the flame.
- Serve it with hot rice and pickle.
- Original recipe, used chana dal, but I used moong dal.
- Instead of sambhar powder, add red chilli powder too.
|DELICIOUS AND HEALTHY APPALA KOOTU!!!|