Unniyappam (Unni=Small; Appam=Rice cake) or sweet banana fritters is super duper snack in kerala. The ever tastier fritters with banana and jaggery will give you energetic treat. Unniyappam is usually made from rice, jaggery and banana with adds of coconut bits, sesame seeds and ghee. But here, I tried the simpler version of unniappam with rice flour and wheat flour with jaggery syrup. Its really came out good and aroma of banana.
Source – My Own
Rice flour - 1/2 Cup
Wheat flour - 1/2 Cup
Jaggery, small pieces - 1/2 - 3/4 Cup
Water - 3 Tbsp
Ripen banana - 1 Larg (I used Moris)
Ghee - 2 Tsp
Salt - A pinch
Baking soda - 1/8 Tsp
Oil - To Deep fry
- Take the jaggery pieces with water and melt it completely and keep it aside.
- Mash the banana into smooth puree.
- Take a wide bowl, add rice flour, wheat flour, baking soda, ghee and salt and mix it once.
- Now add the mashed banana and pour the jaggery syrup through filter.
- Mix it well till the semi-thick consistency, like idli batter consistency. If the batter is too thick add little water to get the correct consistency.
- Heat oil in pan for deep fry, pinch off small balls gently into the hot oil.
- Fry it till golden brown, and put it in absorbent paper.
- Serve it hot...
- You can use your favorite banana, but it should be good ripen one.
- For healthier version, you can make the unniappam in paniyaram kal.
- Add ghee roasted coconut pieces to extra flavor.
- If you need full crispier fritters, substitute wheat flour with rice flour.
- Add jaggery syrup according to your sweetness.