Hi friends, its bit late to post the pongal recipe, but its very healthy and delicious pongal. Varagu (Kodo millet) is very nutritious and suits for healthy menu. It’s perfect for healthy breakfast/dinner and diabetic friendly. As I already, prepared varagu payasam/kheer, varagu idli. We used to add millets like ragi, varagu, thinai (foxtail millet) and Sorghum (Jowar/cholam) in our weekly menu to reduce the white rice portions.
Source – My mom
Varagu rice/Kodo millet – 1 ½ Cup
Moong dal – ½ Cup
Ghee – 1 Tsp
Oil – 3 Tsp
Cumin seeds – 2 Tsp
Crushed Black peppercorns – 2 Tsp
Hing – ½ Tsp
Ginger – 2 Tsp, Chopped
Curry leaves – Few
Salt – To taste
Water – 6 Cups (Adjust according to your rice)
- Soak the varagu rice and moong dal together for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil and ghee in pressure cooker; add cumin seeds and peppercorns wait for sputter.
- Add hing, curry leaves and ginger sauté it till the raw smell goes.
- Now add rice and dal and mix it once then add water and salt stir it well.
- Cover the pressure cooker with lid and put vent after pressure release.
- Switch off the flame after 2 whistles.
- Wait for 15 minutes, then open the pressure cooker and mix it well.
- Serve it hot with coconut chutney and sambhar.
- For health conscious, I added oil with little ghee, you can replace the oil with full ghee, it will enhance the taste.
- Roast the moong dal in ghee and soak it for extra taste.
- Crushed peppercorn is optional, you can add whole peppercorns.
- You can make the same way to make samai, thinai ven pongal.