Millets are healthy as you know already. Nowadays, we are all using it much than rice, right? Yes! In my home we use millets five days in a week and interest to make new recipes with it. I always ready to make millet recipes because I just love it. I tried semiya khicidi and thinai rava khicidi but this one is different in flavor.
Recently, Nathiya’s mom prepared rava khichidi for us in my home. It was so delicious and I felt that I was tasted already in somewhere. Then only I got it, that I tasted upma in marriage functions and it was taste similar to the present one. The spice of cinnamon, cloves and cardamom gives the unique flavour and you do not need any side dishes too and it was tempted to eat 2nd or 3rd servings too… J So I tried the khichidi with samai/little millet and it was awesome in taste and texture. I strongly recommend to try and taste once, you will definitely make it again and again...
Source – My Aunt
Oil – 3 Tbsp
Cinnamon – 1” – 1
Cloves – 2
Cardamom – 2, opened
Star anise – 1
Mustard seeds – 2 Tsp
Urad dal – 2 Tsp
Dry red chillies – 2
Onion, chopped – ½ Cup
Green chillies – 4-5, slited
Curry leaves – Few
Carrot, chopped – ¼ Cup
French beans, chopped – ¼ Cup
Butter beans – ¼ Cup
Tomatoes – 3
Salt – To taste
Water – 3 Cup
Little millet/Samai – 1 Cup
- Wash and soak the little millet/samai for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in pressure pan, adds cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and star anise, and wait for 15 seconds.
- Then add mustard seeds, urad dal and dry chillies wait for sputter.
- Now add chopped onion, green chillies and curry leaves sauté it till translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté it till the raw smell goes off.
- Add the chopped vegetables and sauté it for 2 minutes.
- Now add tomatoes with salt and allow cooking on low flame till the oil oozes out from the mixture.
- Now add water and keep the flame on high to boil the mixture.
- Add samai and coriander leaves to the pressure pan, and close the cooker with lid and put vent and keep it for 2 whistles.
- Open the cooker, after pressure reduce and stir it once and serve it hot…
- Add your choices of vegetables or beans and you can add turmeric powder to get yellow look.
- Add ghee instead of oil, if you love the ghee flavour.
- You can try with any other millet like varagu, thinai, kuthirai vaali, panivaragu also.
Check my Pinterest to Pin other Millet Feasts...